The EXFO AXS-100 Access OTDR combines the leading OTDR technology of the industry, with power meter functionalities in one powerful handheld unit. Optimized for testing passive optical networks (PON) within FTTx architectures, it offers several wavelength configurations and a wide range of options, for first-class flexibility. Use it at the optical network terminal (ONT), drop terminal, or fiber distribution hub (FDH) for FTTH distribution (F2) fiber characterization, troubleshooting, and fault locating.
FTTx networks are becoming a worldwide solution for offering high-speed triple-play services, as carriers must ensure the same level of reliability and availability as that of traditional twisted-pair copper-based access networks. Increased fiber deployment within access networks brings new requirements and the need for highly efficient testing strategies. As most of the work is performed in ever-changing outside conditions (cold/warm/hot, day/night, etc.), working space is often limited and access technicians are getting acquainted with the latest FTTx technologies, choosing a simple, reliable testing tool is key.
The AXS-100 Access OTDR makes testing an FTTx network an easy task. Simply connect the fiber, press FasTrace, and view the result. This handheld unit provides unparalleled ease of use, even for technicians with little background in optical/OTDR testing. Its proprietary FTTx software package enables you to view all results at once and easily assess link status. Without further analysis, you can view fiber length data and detailed pass/fail status, and even verify the presence of macrobendings.
The AXS-100 Access OTDR is specifically designed for in-service PON troubleshooting. It features an optional dedicated port for testing at 1625 incorporating a filter that rejects all unwanted signals (1310, 1490 and 1550 nm) that could contaminate the OTDR measurement. The filter only lets through the 1625 OTDR signal, ensuring accurate OTDR measurements. In-service OTDR troubleshooting of optical fiber does not interfere with the normal operation and expected performance of the information channels. The EXFO AXS-100 does not interfere with the CO laser transmitters, as it uses an out-of-band wavelength, as per the ITU-T L.41 (Maintenance Wavelength on Fibers Carrying Signals) recommendation.
- Top user-friendliness: one-button testing, combined with the EXFO proprietary FTTx software package (macrobend/fault finder, pass/fail indicators)
- Multiple options, including power meter (with calibrated wavelengths of 850, 1300, 1310, 1490, 1550, 1625, and 1650 nm), visual fault locator (VFL), fiber inspection probe, printer and IP testing
- Fault Finder mode, for quick identification/location of a fiber break
- Complete connectivity flexibility: USB stick compatibility and USB cable data download via ActiveSync™
- Advanced TFT transflective color display, for assured legibility under direct sunlight or in other demanding outside conditions