Phase angle indicates the lead or lag in degrees from 0º to 360º between two periodic signals having the same period. In the illustration to the right, phase angle is 360*P1/P. The signals are applied to the A and B input channels.
Phase angle measurement is commonly used with AC power from 50 Hz to 400 Hz. Phase angle needs to be set to zero to synchronize AC generators. It also applies to the triggering of SCRs and Triacs for power control. The phase angle between AC current and voltage determines power factor. The Laureate phase angle meter provides exceptionally fast response and high accuracy for low frequencies, such as AC line frequency.
Phase angle measurement with the Laureate™ Phase Meter requires that two signals with identical periods be applied to Channels A and B. A display from -180º to +180º is obtained by timing the rising edge of one channel and the falling edge of the other channel, and programming a 180º offset. A resolution of 1º, 0.1º or 0.01º is selectable. Accuracy is 0.01% up to 100 Hz, 0.1% at 1 kHz, and 1% at 10 kHz.
Phase angle is determined by timing crystal clock pulses over a specified gate time which is selectable from 10 ms to 199.99 s. By selecting the minimum gate time of 10 ms, the update rate can be up to 20/s for 50/60 Hz AC line frequency. Improved accuracy is obtained by making the gate time long enough so that multiple cycles can be averaged.
- Measures phase angle between two waveshapes of similar period
- Resolution of 1º, 0.1º or 0.01º
- .01% accuracy at AC line frequency
- Inputs from NPN or PNP proximity switches, contact closures, digital logic, magnetic pickups down to 12 mV, or AC inputs up to 250 Vac.
- Trigger on positive or negative pulse edges
- Frequency from .005 Hz to 10 kHz
- 6-digit red or green LED display
- Isolated 5, 10 or 24 Vdc excitation output to power sensors
- Uses Standard counter main board and FR signal conditioner
- Choice of isolated plug-in options for control and computer interface:
dual relays, analog output, serial communications, parallel BCD output, low voltage AC & DC power
- NEMA 4X, 1/8 DIN case
- Safety certified to UL 61010C-1 (UL mark)
- EM certified to EN 61010-1 (CE mark)